4th on Flagler, South Florida’s largest Independence Day extravaganza, will take place Friday, July 4, 2014 from 5-10pm along the Downtown West Palm Beach Waterfront. Partnering with the City’s Art in Public Places (AIPP) and embracing the Downtown’s new Arts & Entertainment District, this year’s event theme is : “Together we CREATE America.”
The City of West Palm Beach is seeking artists to create a maximum of fifty “Spirit Poles” representing the event theme. “Spirit Poles” in the festival world originated with the New Orleans Jazzfest. They are traditionally 10 foot or taller poles adorned with crafty symbols, sculptures and/or flags that were used to identify locations of large groups of people on the festival site.
The City will provide:
- One 10 foot PVC pole per spirit pole.
- Signage indicating artist.
- Opportunity to present spirit pole at a June 2014 City Commission Meeting.
- Inclusion in 4th on Flagler public relations efforts.
- Opportunity to present spirit pole at the July 4th, 4th on Flagler event.
- $100 honorarium per spirit pole
The Selected Artist is responsible for:
- Creating Spirit Pole(s) using the 10 foot provided PVC pole(s) provided by the City and the conceptual drawing approved by the City.
- Spirit Poles will be outdoors for up to three weeks; Spirit Pole décor must be made of materials that withstand wind and rain weather conditions.
- Securing all décor on the spirit pole to withstand wind and rain weather conditions.
- Acknowledgement that all Spirit Poles and the materials used to create Spirit Poles will be the property of the City of West Palm Beach.
Applicant must provide a conceptual drawing with application of spirit pole. See below example.
Applicant must list materials expected to use to create and secure spirit poles. Please note decor must not hang lower than 5 feet from top of the pole.
Applicant can submit one application for multiple spirit poles but each spirit pole must have its own drawing attached.
Approved conceptual drawings and resulting Spirit Poles will be judged for inclusion based on:
- Relevance to the theme “Together we CREATE America.
- Family Friendly Nature
- Identification and use of materials that will have structural integrity and the ability to withstand outdoor weather conditions for up to three week