WEST PALM BEACH HITS HOLE-IN-ONE, TAPS DEVELOPER TO REVITALIZE HISTORIC, MUNICIPAL GOLF COURSE.
“This project could really be a game changer for West Palm Beach’s south end,” said West Palm Beach Mayor Jeri Muoio.
WEST PALM BEACH, FLA. (February 13, 2018) -- At a meeting of the City of West Palm Beach Special Golf Commission on February 12, 2018, the City tapped West Palm Beach Golf Links, LLC./American Links West Palm Beach for redevelopment of the West Palm Beach Municipal Golf Course, located at 7001 Parker Avenue. The City had issued RFP No. 16-17-209 for lease and development of up to 196 acres of property including the West Palm Municipal Golf Course and reviewed the three proposals it had received. The City will now move forward with entering into a contract with West Palm Beach Golf Links.
West Palm Beach Golf Links’ plan promises to create:
· A premier golf course honoring the original Dick Wilson design, with a sympathetic restoration of the course.
· A family entertainment and hospitality venue to be developed by Topgolf (Activities would include a casual golf experience with a restaurant and a 3000 sq. ft. social gathering space for residents, tourists and events. The hotel is anticipated to be a five story, 80 – 100 room, 3+ Star facility.).
· A mix of appropriate residential development.
· 600+ new jobs.
· Significant new revenues for the City.
· Improved golf maintenance facility.
· C-51 Canal access area and sculling venue.
“This project could really be a game changer for West Palm Beach’s south end,” said West Palm Beach Mayor Jeri Muoio. “I am really pleased that, now, we will have something that’s really going to energize people—young and old, residents and visitors-- around our golf course. I’m excited to move forward with West Palm Beach Golf Links, as their proposal gives us a chance to do something really innovative and creative with our municipal golf course.”
Proposed terms, plus financial and development impacts include:
· City continues to own the land being developed.
· City relieved of all financial obligations concerning the golf course.
· Developer funds 100% of the estimated $86,000,000 development costs and 100% of all operating costs.
· 600+ new jobs.
· Estimated financial impact to City: $52,000,000 in value.
“We view this project as a significant opportunity to return this golf course to the world class status it has previously enjoyed,” stated John Sanford, West Palm Beach Golf Links golf architect, during the presentation before the Special Golf Commission. “Anything less would not do it justice.”
The proposal also promises:
· Guaranteed affordable access for West Palm Beach Resident Pass Holders.
· Player development programs and leagues, including Inner City Youth Golf Association and The First Tee.
· Forest Hill and Dreyfoos High Schools golf team home course status for practice and matches.
· Land for additional parking for Forest Hill High School.
The West Palm Beach Golf Links proposal presented before the Special Golf Commission is, again, a concept. The City will now move forward with entering into a contract with West Palm Beach Golf Links, which will be brought before the Commission and for public comment.
To view the meeting of the Special Golf Commission and to see the presentation by West Palm Beach Golf Links, please visit: https://vimeo.com/255569481.
The West Palm Beach Golf Course is an 18-hole, par 72 championship Dick Wilson-design course. For more information, please visit: http://www.wpalmbeachgc.com/.