Audit Plan for Fiscal Year 2012/2013
Vision: To be a highly respected service organization and a catalyst for positive change.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
Perform audits and provide other services to help the City achieve the highest effectiveness and efficiency with integrity
• Promote adequate systems of internal control
• Improve operational efficiency and effectiveness
• Advance contract compliance and fiscal responsibility
• Optimize value received from City resources
• Increase awareness and understanding of emerging issues
• Expand staff knowledge, skills, and abilities
• Stay current on issues and trends affecting governments
• Increase audit effectiveness
• Provide customer valued audit and consulting services
• Meet government auditing standards
Staff and Available Audit Hours
We based the proposed audit plan on current staffing, consisting of two full-time audit professionals. Reflected below are estimated available audit hours after adjustments for anticipated annual and other leave.
|Audit Staff Time||Annual Hours||%|
|Senior Internal Auditor||2,080|
|Staff Internal Auditor||2,080|
|Total Annual Hours||4,160||100%|
|Total Leave Hours||712||17%|
|Available Audit Hours||3,448||83%|
Planned Audits and Projects
During Fiscal Year 2012/13, one of the primary objectives will be to implement an effective continuous auditing program. The goal is to increase efficiency by auditing more areas and reviewing higher volumes of data while using fewer resources. We plan to complete a detailed and comprehensive continuous auditing program during the last quarter of FY 2011/12.
A portion of the time allocated to continuous auditing will involve the use of data analytics to automate and facilitate more efficient internal audit processes, thereby helping identify and manage risks more promptly, effectively and efficiently. In order to accomplish this, audit staff will need to work with unfamiliar software and develop an understanding of the most efficient ways to obtain and work with needed data.
Below is the proposed distribution of audit hours for FY 2012/13.
|Distribution of Available Audit Hours||Annual Hours||%|
|Audits, Reviews and Projects||2,410||70%|
|Administration, Meetings, Training and Other Activities||1,038||30%|
|Available Audit Hours||3,448||100%|