March 22, 2007 – A new City of West Palm Beach Police Department community substation has opened on 1010 10th Street, completing a dramatic turnaround for a property that was once a drug house and a major problem spot in the surrounding neighborhood. The new substation will greatly increase police presence and visibility in the area, just off North Tamarind Avenue.
The station was dedicated by Mayor Lois J. Frankel, City Commission President Isaac “Ike” Robinson, Jr., Police Department leaders, City leaders and Community Redevelopment Agency (CRA) leaders. Members of the public and the neighborhood were invited to tour the facility after the ribbon cutting.
“This new community substation, combined with the substation we opened on 30th Court in August, will help us keep our homes and streets safe from crime,” said Mayor Frankel. “This property’s turnaround from a place where drugs were sold to a community police station will help move this neighborhood forward.”
The building on 1010 10th Street was formerly a major nuisance to the area, and a serious contributor to the area’s drug activity. Now, rather than being called to the address to deal with crimes, police officers will use the station as a community resource center. Police will using it as a launching point to interface and build relationships with the community, and the simple act of police officers coming and going to and from the station will help build visibility in the area. The CRA provided $120,000 in funds to help renovate the station.
The City of West Palm Beach also opened a police community center at 954 30th Court in August of 2006. The station is directly across the street from Sullivan Park, and has been serving as a resource for police and for the community for more than six months.
For Additional Information:
West Palm Beach Public Information Officer @
(561) 822-1433 / 822-1411 or email@example.com