Accounts Payable Specialist
SUMMARY: Under close supervision, reviews and analyzes invoices and other requests for payment, posts data from requests, obtains approvals for payments as necessary, issues and records payments to suppliers, performs research related to invoices and payments, and maintains accounting records in electronic format; may perform additional duties as assigned.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge skills, and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class.)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (which are not in any hierarchical order)
- Reviews and analyzes invoices presented for payment to insure they are in proper format.
- Enters data into the Accounts Payable system using Oracle Payables.
- Matches invoices to purchase orders, when applicable.
- Ensures appropriate electronic and/or paper approvals for invoices are obtained from the applicable departmental personnel.
- Ensure electronic images from invoices and supporting documents are complete and are properly linked to information in the financial system.
- Communicates and answers questions from employees and/or suppliers.
- Conducts research on payments and pending invoices for internal and external customers.
- Reviews and researches statements from suppliers/vendors.
- Maintains electronic and computerized files and information related to invoices and payments.
- Knowledge of governmental bookkeeping practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of the principles and techniques of general ledger bookkeeping.
- Knowledge of bookkeeping or basic accounting methods.
- Knowledge of payment processing and receipt processing procedures.
- Knowledge of standard accounts payable procedures and internal controls.
- Knowledge of electronic file and record keeping techniques.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Skill in using computer and application software for accounting transactions.
- Skill in using common office machinery and equipment.
- Skill in mathematical computations used in accounting.
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work involves sedentary to light work in an office setting. There is frequent need to stand, stoop, walk, sit, lift light objects (up to 10 pounds) and perform other similar actions during the course of the workday. The City of West Palm Beach promotes and maintains a drug/alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment and random drug testing for certain employees.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: High School diploma or GED and six (6) months of bookkeeping or accounting experience, or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
Last revision: October 2010