Biosolids Operator Trainee
SUMMARY: Under limited supervision, performs a variety of duties to provide for the proper treatment of biosolids in accordance with federal, state, and local standards; and performs related duties as assigned.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge skills, and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class.)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (which are not in any hierarchical order)
- Works with others to ensure safe and efficient operation and maintenance of a wide variety of equipment including separator screens, belt and screw conveyors, centrifuges, natural gas fire burners, pumps, belt filter presses, natural gas system, digester equipment, and a variety of analytical sampling devices.
- Reads and records mechanical and electrical meters.
- Reads and understand mechanical, electrical flow charts, and SCADA system.
- Retrieves and processes various sludge samples.
- Monitors electrical equipment, including motors, generators, transformers, panel boards, electronic devices, and burner controls.
- Monitors chemical feed lines, polymer equipment, sludge lines, and utility gas lines.
- Maintains database specifically designed to track biosolids distribution and silo storage levels.
- Maintain clear, concise, and thorough daily logbook and operational data sheet entries.
- Reads mechanical and electronic meters and logs the recording.
- Performs general housekeeping duties such as painting, sweeping, mopping, cleaning equipment, dusting, and hosing.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Basic knowledge of methods and techniques used in the installation, operation, repair, and maintenance of a wide variety of mechanical and electro-mechanical equipment associated with biosolids management.
- Ability to perform inspections to determine operational conditions and work from sketches and simple blueprints.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
- Skilled in the use of mechanic’s tools and shop equipment.
- Ability to read meters and charts accurately, and maintain precise, concise records.
- Ability to work in adverse conditions.
- Ability to perform shift work as assigned.
- Knowledge of sampling procedures required.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: The essential functions of the job require; sitting approximately one (1) hour per day, standing approximately three (3) hours per day, and walking approximately four (4) hours per day. The job also requires frequent: bending/stooping, climbing, grasping and reaching, with occasional: pulling, pushing, lifting/carrying objects weighing up to 15 pounds, lifting/carrying objects weighing up to 44 pounds, and lifting/carrying objects weighing more than 45 pounds. On rate occasions the work requires: crawling, fine manipulations, kneeling and repetitive motion. The City of West Palm Beach promotes and maintains a drug/alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment and random drug testing for certain employees.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: High school diploma, GED, supplemented by courses in math and chemistry, preferred. A valid Florida driver’s license is required.
Last revision date: April 2011