Commercial Combination Plans Examiner
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge skills, and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class.)DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (which are not in any hierarchical order)
- Reviews applications submitted to the Construction Services Department for compliance with the governing codes and statutes.
- Documents deficiencies discovered utilizing the City computer database in a concise and understandable manner.
- Explains complex technical issues in a clear and concise manner to non-technical persons.
- Communicates effectively the required corrective actions to the Department’s customers.
- Demonstrates effective stewardship of the resources in time and materials provided by the City.
- Balances the need for code compliance with customer service.
- Demonstrates respect the customer’s time and resources in the process.
- Reviews complex plans to ascertain compliance in two or more functional areas of building, electrical, plumbing, mechanical and related codes and standards.
- Answers questions in person and on the phone regarding plans and code requirements.
- Researches codes for approval or disapproval of submitted plans, especially in unusual or unique installations.
- Drafts correspondence explaining reasons a plan was disapproved.
- Files new and completed plans.
- Reviews new materials and methods used in building construction; attends training courses to learn of new codes and other inspection regulations; takes an active part in the training process.
- May perform inspections as required, with appropriate licensure.
- Proven knowledge two or more functional areas of building, electrical, mechanical, and/or plumbing codes and related regulations affecting work in high rise buildings.
- Proven knowledge of the principles and practices of the construction industry.
- Knowledge of construction and related materials and tools.
- Proven skills in providing excellent customer service.
- Skill in the use of a variety of office equipment including personal computers and related software.
- Skill in reading and interpreting blueprints, codes and regulations.
- Demonstrated skills in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Effective communicator, both orally and in writing.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: High School Diploma and seven (7) years construction experience, plan review experience with at least three (3) years experience in plan review for high rise buildings or any equivalent combination of training and experience. Requires State licensure in two or more functional areas as a Building, Electrical, Mechanical or Plumbing Plans Examiner and licensure in two or more functional areas as a Building, Electrical, Mechanical or Plumbing Inspector, or ability to attain licensure within one (1) year of date of employment, along with ability to obtain provisional licensure at the time of hire. A valid Florida driver’s license is required; a valid driver’s license from any state (equivalent to a State of Florida Class E) may be utilized upon application; with the ability to obtain the State of Florida driver’s license within 30 days from day of appointment.
Last revision date: October 2010