Assistant Director of Public Works
SUMMARY: Under general direction oversees, directs, and administers the daily operations of all Public Works divisions assisting the Director of Public Works, and performs related duties as assigned.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge skills, and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class.)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (Which are not in any hierarchical order)
- Assumes full supervisory responsibilities for Public Works Division.
- Oversees and directs the daily operations and administration of the department.
- Reviews and negotiates consultant authorizations, manages projects and reviews plans.
- Reviews and authorizes proposals, invoices, and budgetary decisions.
- Provides department policy development and implementation.
- Responds to written and verbal inquiries and requests.
- Attends or approves the attendance at staff, regulatory, and training meetings/conferences.
- Knowledge of City, federal and state laws, statutes, rules, regulations and ordinances related to Public Works operation and maintenance.
- Knowledge of contract negotiation and consensus building.
- Knowledge of development, operation, maintenance, and repair of street lighting, storm water, grounds operations, streets, and sidewalks and other issues relative to the department’s service delivery responsibilities.
- Knowledge of accounting, procurement and budget methods and practices.
- Knowledge of management and administrative methods, practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of general office machines, computer hardware and software applicable to Public Works.
- Skill in delegating, assigning, reviewing and evaluating work.
- Skill in development and implementation of long and short terms strategic plans and goals.
- Skill in utilizing a high level of verbal and written communication for presentations, training, negotiations, and guidance for a wide variety of audiences.
- Skill in utilizing public relations / customer service techniques in responding to inquiries, requests and complaints.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work involves occasional exposure to loud noises, chemicals, toxic fumes, air and waterborne pathogens, mechanical equipment during the inspection of facilities and equipment. There is occasional need to stand, stoop, walk, sit, climb in high areas and on catwalks, lift moderately heavy objects (up to 50 pounds) and perform other similar actions during the course of the workday. The City of West Palm Beach promotes a drug/alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Business Administration or related field and seven (7) years progressively responsible work experience in Public Works, including three (3) years supervisory experience, or any equivalent combination of training and experience. A valid Florida driver’s license is required.
Last revision: December 2006