Assistant Internal Auditor
SUMMARY: Under limited supervision, performs audits of the records, reports, operations, and activities related to the various functions and duties of the City government; and performs related duties as assigned.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge skills, and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class.)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (Which are not in any hierarchical order)
- Plans and executes audits of the records, reports, operations and activities related to the various functions and duties of City departments and government.
- Analyzes and evaluates data and information compiled during audits to conclude on conditions and performances of the City government in meeting its prescribed responsibilities.
- Develops methods and procedures to identify and assess risk factors and develops audit objectives to be accomplished.
- Documents audit test data and results that are sufficient to support conclusions and findings cited in audit report.
- Prepares comprehensive written report on results of audit.
- Reviews City ordinances, resolutions, policies, procedures, and contracts for effective controls.
- Reviews and evaluates new state and federal legislation for effects on City operations.
- Knowledge of City, federal and state laws, rules, regulations and ordinances pertinent to accounting and auditing of governmental entities.
- Knowledge of accounting and auditing methods, practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of computer hardware and software pertinent to accounting and auditing practices.
- Knowledge of research and analysis methods, practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of business administration practices.
- Knowledge of customer service and public relations practices and procedures.
- Skill in utilizing written and verbal communication in the development of reports and presentations.
- Skill in analyzing technical data and information for financial and performance auditing.
- Skill in maintaining an independent and objective attitude in performing all work.
- Skill in prioritizing and handling multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work involves sedentary to light work in an office setting. There is occasional need to stand, stoop, walk, sit, lift light objects (up to 25 pounds) and perform other similar actions during the course of the workday. The City of West Palm Beach promotes a drug/alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in accounting, finance, business or a related field, and at least one (1) auditing course, or any equivalent combination of training and experience required. A valid Florida driver’s license or ability to obtain upon employment is required.
Last revision: October 2001