Assistant Library Director
SUMMARY: Under general direction, assists the Library Director in all phases in the operation of the Library, including planning, marketing, fiscal issues, and development of budget. Oversees the daily operations, develops and implements standards for service and coordinates special projects; may perform related duties as assigned.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge skills, and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class.)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:(Which are not in any hierarchical order)
- Assists the Library Director in setting the vision for library services and providing leadership for library staff and the community.
- Monitors expenditures and maintains compliance with annual library budget, including federal, state and grants. Assists the Library Director in preparing annual budget.
- Interviews, trains, motivate, assigns and evaluates work, and recommends disciplinary actions according to established City procedures. Conducts performance appraisals.
- Oversees daily operations of the Library. Develops policies and procedures to insure customer satisfaction.
- Assists in planning, coordination, and development of special projects and grants.
- Assists in the development and implementation of marketing and public relations for the Library.
- Directs the operations of the Library in the absence of the Library Director.
- Assists in the strategic planning for the Library.
- Works reference and circulation desks as needed to maintain Library operation hours.
- Assists with technology planning and implementation.
- Knowledge of public library administration, management and operational practices and procedures.
- Skills in supervision, planning, budgeting, creating and monitoring standards.
- Skills in management of complex projects.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to relate positively to diverse populations.
- Ability to demonstrate leadership, organization and management skills.
- Ability to delegate, assign, review and evaluate work.
- Ability to analyze and evaluate work situations and make sound decisions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work involves sedentary to light work in an office setting. There is frequent need to stand, stoop, walk, sit, lift light objects (up to 10 pounds) and perform other similar actions during the course of the workday. The City of West Palm Beach promotes a drug/alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Master’s in Library Science (MLS) from an ALA accredited program of study and five (5) years progressively responsible work experience in Library management, including one (1) year Library supervisory experience, or any equivalent combination of training and experience. A valid Florida driver’s license is required.
Last revision: October 2001