Backflow/Cross Connection Technician
SUMMARY: Under limited supervision, administers the City’s Backflow Program, which provides controls to prevent the pollution of the drinking water system; and performs related duties as assigned.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class.)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (which are not in any hierarchical order)
- Inspects and tests all new backflow assemblies to ensure proper installation.
- Inspects and connects all new services.
- Inspects consumer premises for cross-connections.
- Installs and maintains detector check meters and investigates fireline problems.
- Tests, maintains and repairs all City owned backflow assemblies to ensure proper functioning.
- Answers and resolves questions from contractors regarding backflow assemblies.
- Knowledge of proper installation of backflow devices.
- Knowledge of common hand and power tools.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions.
- Knowledge of basic preventive maintenance on assigned equipment.
- Skill in inspecting and testing backflow devices.
- Skill in maintaining inspection records.
- Skill in utilizing public relations techniques in responding to inquiries and complaints.
- Skill in communicating effectively, orally and in writing.
- Skill in following safety practices and recognizing hazards.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work involves moderate to heavy work in all types of weather. There is frequent need to stand, stoop, walk, lift heavy objects (up to 50 pounds) and perform other similar actions during the course of the workday. The City of West Palm Beach promotes a drug/alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: High School diploma, GED, or one (1) year of vocational training and four (4) years experience in testing, repair and maintenance of water systems, or any equivalent combination of training and experience. Backflow Testing certification, Backflow Repair certification and a valid Florida driver’s license are required.
Last revision date: October 2001