ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class.)DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (which are not in any hierarchical order)
- Drives bus and/or van on designated routes to pick up and deliver children to specific destinations.
- Enforces and ensures adherence to City safety methods and policies.
- Completes daily log sheets of activities.
- Performs routine maintenance of vehicle (e.g., performs visual and physical inspection of vehicle, inspects tires and exterior lights, cleans interior and exterior) or refers for necessary repair.
- Provides administrative support for programs.
- Knowledge of the streets, locations and addresses found within the City of West Palm Beach.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions.
- Knowledge of basic preventive maintenance on assigned equipment.
- Knowledge of basic emergency care.
- Skill in following oral and written instructions.
- Skill in oral communication in one-on-one and group situations.
- Skill in the proper operation of assigned vehicle.
- Skill in performing routine preventive maintenance of vehicle.
- Skill in safely operating a multiple passenger vehicle in varying road and climate conditions.
- Skill in performing basic emergency care.
- Ability to apply appropriate judgment in potentially hazardous situations.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Eighth grade education, and possession of a valid Florida Driver’s license class B with the appropriate CDL endorsement, and six (6) months of experience in operating a school bus, or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
Last revision date: October 2001