Canal Maintenance Operator
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:(Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics). This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class.)DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:(which are not in any hierarchical order and may vary based on assignment)
- Mows and cleans drainage canals, water supply canals, removes pest vegetation and under close supervision of licensed chemical spray technician applies aquatic herbicide as required.
- Determines type and quantities of materials required to perform and complete job assignments and arranges for timely delivery to job site.
- Operates trucks, construction equipment and various herbicide application equipment as necessary to complete work projects.
- Checks equipment for proper servicing, operation and safety and reports defects to supervisor.
- Fill washouts along canal banks and Nature Center facilities.
- Performs minor repairs to storm water discharge structures, other water control structures and/or irrigation and Nature Center faculties.
- Performs general servicing of canal gates; repairs or replaces malfunctioning or damaged equipment.
- Fills in for Heavy Equipment Operator using tractor with Tiger Mower attachments, backhoe, Hydro crane, and front-end loader.
- Standby for emergency call outs during hurricane season for pending extremely bad weather conditions.
- Observes standard operating procedures and safety practices.
- Installs street barricades and cones prior to the performance of work activities. May direct and control traffic around work sites.
- Skills in the use of hand tools.
- Skills in truck driving, some heavy equipment operation, mowing equipment, and various watercraft operations.
- Skills in identifying unsafe conditions and taking corrective action.
- Knowledge of canal bank repair and canal water levels.
- Knowledge of mechanical equipment used in the maintenance of canal banks.
- Ability to understand and carryout oral instructions.
- Ability to perform outdoors environment under poor weather conditions during emergencies.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: High School diploma or GED and six (6) months working related experience, or any equivalent combination of training and experience. Valid Florida driver’s license, and a Commercial Driver’s license, Class B may be required depending upon area of assignment.
Last Revision date: February 2002