SUMMARY: Under general supervision, the incumbent of this position will assist students with homework and special projects by promoting academic improvement and enhancing research skills.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge skills, and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class.)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (which are not in any hierarchical order)
- Assists students with homework and/or special school projects.
- Acts as liaison with local schools to request information about assignments, computer software, curriculum, etc.
- Monitors and maintains records of students’ progress.
- Ensure the Homework Center is conducive to studying, learning and interacting with peers.
- Supervises registration of students and parents.
- Creates, administers, and collects data from evaluations.
- Works with Librarian in the training of volunteers, planning of programs for students and parents.
- Assists with the supervision of volunteers during Homework Center hours.
- Assists with the supervision of the AmeriCorp volunteer during Homework Center hours.
- Provides support and resources to families to enable them to successfully assist their children with their homework.
- Knowledge of computer hardware, software and peripherals sufficient to instruct target population in their use.
- Skill in utilizing customer service techniques in responding to inquiries and complaints.
- Skill in utilizing computer databases to research, maintain, and update records and files.
- Skill in instructing the general public in the use of computers and other technical or audiovisual machines.
- Ability to utilize verbal and written communication in the development of administrative and technical reports and presentations.
- Ability to develop and present programs to groups.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work involves moderate work in an office setting. There is frequent need to stand, stoop, walk, sit, lift light objects (up to 25 pounds) and perform other similar actions during the course of the workday. The City of West Palm Beach promotes a drug/alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Education or related field and progressively responsible work experience in the education field. Valid Florida Teaching Certificate, required. A valid Florida driver’s license is required. A valid driver’s license from any state (equivalent to a State of Florida Class E) may be utilized upon application; with the ability to obtain the State of Florida driver’s license within 30 days from day of appointment.