Chief of Fire Equipment Maintenance
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knoweldge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class.)DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (which are not in any hierarchical order)
- Supervises maintenance and repairs of all fire department equipment and apparatus.
- Prepares equipment maintenance budget for all divisions.
- Directs the fire equipment maintenance division by assigning work priorities, establishing procedures and scheduling work.
- Prepares and presents performance evaluations and makes recommendations regarding personnel actions.
- Conducts various analysis and inspections of vehicles and mechanical systems to determine the most cost-effective means of maintenance, repair or replacement.
- Maintains emergency rescue fleet under incident command system during severe conditions, i.e., floods, hurricanes or other natural or man-made disasters.
- Performs Incident Command System Staging Officer duties and is responsible for apparatus staging and providing other logistical support such as fueling of apparatus, breathing air support and other related activities.
- Conducts training on basic vehicle maintenance.
- Responsible for maintaining, repairing, and testing of Department self-contained breathing apparatus.
- Makes recommendations regarding apparatus and equipment purchases.
- Responsible for annual apparatus and equipment certification testing.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of supervisory principles and practices.
- Knowledge of the tools and equipment used in fire equipment and vehicle maintenance and repair.
- Knowledge of and skill in the use of diagnostic equipment.
- Skill in equipment repair.
- Skill in the use of a personal computer.
- Skill in budget preparation and management.
- Skill in both oral and written communication.
- Ability to lead workers effectively, maintain discipline, accept lines of authority, promote harmony and cooperate with other officers and workers
- Ability to apply Functional Reasoning: Requires the ability to apply principles of rational systems; to interpret instructions furnished in written, oral, diagrammatic, or schedule form; and to exercise independent judgment to adopt or modify methods and standards to meet variations in assigned objectives.
- Ability to apply Situational Reasoning: Requires the ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness and creativity in situations involving the evaluation of information against sensory, judgmental, or subjective criteria, as opposed to that which is clearly measurable or verifiable
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Currently employee as a West Palm Beach Fire Rescue Firefighter with ten (10) years of service, including at least one (1) year related fire equipment experience and three (3) years supervisory experience or any equivalent combination of training and experience. State of Florida Firefighter and Emergency Medical Technician Certification and Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) Repair Certification is required. . Employee must not have been suspended, for disciplinary reasons, within the last two (2) years. A valid Florida driver’s license, Class D (or better) with an E endorsement, is required, and must have completed an approved emergency vehicle operator’s course (EVOC). Must not, within the last three years, have been convicted of reckless driving or driving under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances and have not had a driver’s license suspended under the point system provided for in Chapter 322, Florida Statues.
Last revision date: May 2008