SUMMARY: Under general direction, oversees and directs the administration of the City Attorney’s Office and provides legal services to the City, including the Mayor, City Commission, City departments, and all City agencies, Boards and Committees.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge skills, and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class.)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (Which are not in any hierarchical order)
- Performs duties of Chief Legal Advisor for the City of West Palm Beach.
- Advises the Mayor, City Commission and all City departments on legal matters.
- Oversees full operation of the department.
- Assumes full supervisory responsibility for the City Attorney’s office, staff, and outside counsel for all City legal matters.
- Drafts resolutions, ordinances and documents.
- Develops, prepares and administers City Attorney’s office budget.
- Represents City in all legal matters.
- Attends City Commission, and other meetings (internal and external) as chief legal advisor.
- Knowledge of City, federal and state laws, statutes, rules, regulations, ordinances, codes related to the full range of City government operations and legal issues.
- Knowledge of research of complex legal issues.
- Knowledge of management and administration methods, practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of general office equipment, computer hardware and software.
- Knowledge of customer service and public relation methods, practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of budget development, monitoring and administration.
- Skill in litigating matters related to regulatory, land use, employment, contractual and transactions, and all other municipal matters.
- Skill in utilizing a high degree of verbal and written communication in the presentation of information to a wide variety of audiences.
- Skill in negotiation and consensus development.
- Skill in delegating, assigning, reviewing and evaluating work.
- Skill in utilizing customer service / public relations techniques in responding to inquiries and complaints.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work involves sedentary to light work in an office setting. There is occasional need to stand, stoop, walk, sit, lift light objects (up to 25 pounds) and perform other similar actions during the course of the workday. The City of West Palm Beach promotes a drug/alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Juris Doctorate and member of the Florida Bar with seven (7) years of progressively responsible legal experience, including three (3) years in government practice and three (3) years supervisory/managerial experience, or equivalent experience. A valid Florida driver’s license is required.
Last revision: December 2006