Code Enforcement Specialist
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class.)DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (which are not in any hierarchical order)
- Researches legal ownership and legal description of properties.
- Prepares forms for ownership search and filing.
- Answers, screens, directs or refers incoming calls, mail and visitors.
- Researches unclaimed or undeliverable mail using records from the tax collector, property appraiser, index, abstract, probate or other sources.
- Researches liens, mortgages and deeds for problem properties.
- Verifies property ownership for routine violations.
- Composes, types, and edits a variety of correspondence, reports, memoranda, and other material from written draft.
- Performs duties of Code Enforcement Clerk during absences or to assist during peak periods.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of the City’s governmental organization, policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of general office procedures, methods and equipment.
- Knowledge of real estate terminology, legal procedures and property descriptions.
- Knowledge of public relations and customer service principles, practices and techniques.
- Knowledge of a variety of computer software, including word processing and spreadsheet applications.
- Knowledge of basic accounting or business practices and methods.
- Skill in typing and word-processing.
- Skill in operating a variety of office equipment, including personal computers, telephones, calculators, computer terminals, and typewriters.
- Skill in preparing and maintaining accurate records, reports, and files.
- Skill in researching a variety of public records using local, state and federal resources.
- Skill in handling and prioritizing multiple projects.
- Skill in coordinating calendars, appointments, room assignments, etc.
- Skill in understanding and following oral and written directions.
- Skill in utilizing public relations techniques in responding to inquiries and complaints.
- Ability to establish cooperative work relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: High School Diploma and two (2) years of clerical or office experience, or any equivalent combination of training and experience. Real estate experience preferred.
Last revision date: October 2001