Community Events Supervisor
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class.)DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (which are not in any hierarchical order)
- Plans, organizes, and supervises the planning, development, implementation and administration of the City of West Palm Beach events, promotions, facilities and permitting for events not produced by the City on public property.
- Provides direct supervision to employees and volunteers (annually) in the creation, production, scheduling and permitting of the City of West Palm Beach events and promotions.
- Develops and monitors budgets for City produced events, facilities, and related expenses and revenues for non-City events permitted on public property.
- Arranges meetings and obtains cooperation of sponsors, vendors, schools, merchants, community groups, etc., in the production of City events.
- Obtains sponsorships to offset event costs and provide general fund revenue for City events.
- Oversees events produced by outside promoters and ensures license agreements and permits are properly executed.
- Drafts or reviews correspondence to the City Commission for approval of event permits and license agreements, and other event-related issues.
- Schedules and books entertainment for City events and negotiates and composes all necessary contracts.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Skill in budget preparation and monitoring.
- Skill in prioritizing and managing multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
- Skill in assigning, delegating, reviewing and evaluating work.
- Skill in fundraising.
- Skill in booking entertainment.
- Skill in building relationships.
- Knowledge of event planning.
- Ability to work cooperatively with community-based organizations and the general public including groups of all ages and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Knowledge of entertainment booking sources.
- Knowledge of business English, grammar, punctuation and spelling.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends in outdoor settings.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with the general public, promoters, sponsors, city staff and other community groups.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Marketing, Recreation or a related field and (4) years experience in the field of event management including three (3) years supervisory or lead experience, or any equivalent combination of training and experience. A valid Florida driver’s license is required.
Last revision: September 2006