Computer Aided Drafting Technician Leader
SUMMARY: Under close supervision, performs duties associated with generating and updating technical drawings on a computer aided drafting system and designs and produces graphic presentations for departments within the City; and performs related duties as assigned. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:(Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class.) DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:(which are not in any hierarchical order)
- Responsible for distributing projects among all CAD Technicians and keeping track of projects accordingly.
- Manages (plans, organizes and controls) the work of CAD Technicians to ensure compliance with City standards including details, maps, drawings, etc.
- Assumes administrative control as it relates to CAD operations.
- Provides cross training to all CAD Technicians.
- Will assist management during the performance appraisal process of CAD Technicians.
- Coordinates breakdowns and suggestions to Senior Engineers.
- Generates and updates technical drawings using a computer aided drafting system, to include but not limited to, architectural, civil, survey, roadway plans, maps, drainage, etc.
- Designs and produces graphic presentations for various departments within the City to include brochures, flyers, posters, booklets, visual presentations, charts, graphs, photos, scanned images and slides.
- Reproduces original copies of electronic and manual drawings and files.
- Maintains and updates manual and electronic drawing files.
- Creates custom maps or updates existing maps for engineers, other city departments and the public, as requested.
- Performs 3-dimensional drafting and creates photo-realistic color renderings.
- Maintains CAD systems, plotters and supplies. Troubleshoots system problems.
- Confers with engineers as part of the design team for a project. Researches existing conditions, proposed equipment, and standard details for the project.
- Drafts and plots conceptual and final plans and details, based upon engineer’s sketches and design standards.
- Performs fieldwork to assist in the design phase of projects.
- Creates maps or reports based on complex geographic queries.
- Schedules, coordinates, and participates in the transfer of existing manual data into the GIS and enforces City’s data standards.
- Prepares GIS maps and data for City departments as required.
- Assists staff in the use of the GIS software.
- Knowledge of architectural and civil engineering drafting.
- Knowledge of 3-D drafting and rendering.
- Knowledge of manual and electronic drafting techniques.
- Knowledge of the functions and capabilities of software programs used in drafting and engineering such as Autocad, graphics software, presentation software, word processing software, desktop publishing, etc.
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
- Knowledge of GIS software (Arc view, Auto Cad Map).
- Knowledge of digitizing techniques, operating systems, word processors, spreadsheet applications, web design tools, hardware compatibilities.
- Skill in assembling and disassembling hardware and peripherals.
- Skill in using software applications for drafting and creating presentations.
- Skill in using equipment such as plotters, scanners, digital camera, printers, fax, and phone.
- Skill in conceptualizing and rendering a drawing from written or oral direction.
- Skill in coordinating work with others.
- Skill in organizing and prioritizing work to ensure projects are completed on time.
- Skill in communicating effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
FLSA Code: NE
Last revision date: December 2001
Last revision date: December 2001