Customer Service Inspector
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Essential functions, as defined under the American with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge skills, and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of the class.)DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (which are not in any hierarchical order)
- Inspects utility services and properties to ensure billing accuracy. Researches billing discrepancies in usage, dwelling units, types of service, leaks, meter locations, stopped meters, impervious surface and proper service address; frequently interacts with internal and external customers.
- Serves as liaison between customers and City in identifying cause and possible solutions for high/low utility bills and billing discrepancies.
- Investigates removed, new, stolen, and wrong meter numbers and other problems reported that may affect customer billing.
- Prepares various daily and monthly reports as required. Files and logs inspections and related paperwork.
- Establishes new account numbers and locations for new services for routing purposes.
- Identifies and tracks companies on development with master meters. Read hydrant meters for billing purposes.
- Performs various duties to assist customer service including but not limited to restoring and disconnecting service, reading meters, impervious surface and responding to hazards.
- Coordinates with other departments and divisions in order to: gain access to meters; conduct extensive research to solve various complex meter problems and solve customer billing issues;
- Reads aerial maps, blue prints, and performs actual physical measuring of commercial properties to establish impervious surfaces for storm water billing.
- Verifies property control information on demolitions for accurate liening of property due to delinquent billing.
- Performs special projects related to utility billing and stormwater billing.
- May act as lead worker on special projects.
- Ability to read meters and be able to locate them.
- Knowledge of the service area’s geographic.
- Knowledge of current departmental ordinances and rate resolutions.
- Skills in reading and understanding maps and blue pints to analyze Storm Water properties and measuring impervious surfaces.
- Skill in using personal computer and specialized software applications for customer account information update.
- Skill in using common office machinery and equipment.
- Skill in using mathematical computations.
- Skill in both verbal and written communications.
- Skill in following written and oral instructions.
- Skills in customer relations, handling irate customers and problem solving.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external customers inside and outside the work group.
MINIMUM QUALIFCATION: High School diploma or GED and over two (2) years directly related experience, or any equivalent combination of training and experience. A valid Florida Driver’s license is required.
Last revision date: October 2001