Customer Service Representative
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Essential functions, as defined under the American with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge skills, and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of the class.)DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (which are not in any hierarchical order)
- Heavy interaction with internal and external customers via telephone and in person to open and close customer utility accounts; using some judgment according to approved procedures to calculate deposits, charges and credits; prepares customer application, certificates of deposit, official receipts and other paperwork required for computer input to maintain mainframe database to assure accurate customer account billing.
- Researches and resolves concerns with billing questions, delinquent collections, deposits, returned checks, inspections and maintenance; uses judgment in issuing work orders for inspections, according to understanding from customer on account issues. Customer impact extends beyond the city limits.
- Heavy interaction with city wide internal and external customers via telephone and in person regarding updates and maintenance of mainframe computer data and hard copy files, work orders, logs, and reports associated with various customer service business transitions.
- Dispatches assignments to outside personnel via two-way radio.
- Generates, completes and maintains historical information for appropriate customer service records retention
- Tracks and monitors, via computer and reports work assignments within the department to ensure completion of same
- Knowledge and skills in using effective customer service practices.
- Knowledge of bookkeeping or basic accounting methods.
- Knowledge of payment processing and receipt processing procedures.
- Skill in using computer and specialized software applications for customer accounts.
- Skill in using common office machinery and equipment.
- Skill in using mathematical computations used in accounting.
- Skill in both verbal and written communications.
- Skill in following written and oral instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external customers, inside and outside the work group.
MINIMUM QUALIFCATION: High School diploma or GED and 2 years customer service experience in a related field, or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
Last revision date: October 2001