Customer Service Supervisor
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:(Essential functions, as defined under the American with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge skills, and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of the class.)DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (which are not in any hierarchical order)
- Supervises operation of a large group in the commercial office of Utilities and Storm Water Customer Service including personal and telephone customer interaction, monthly utility billing, bill processing and accounts maintenance through office and field personnel including two first line supervisors.
- Interacts with internal and external customers city wide as well as other municipalities beyond city limits. Receives and reconciles billing and service related complaints. Consults and corresponds with customers verbally in person, on the telephone and in writing.
- Reviews and authorizes credits, back billings, refunds and other adjustments to customer billings.
- Supervises the preparation and collection of utility bills, delinquent and liened accounts, and supervises, updates and maintains the computer mainframe of billing rates code and customer information.
- Prepares, monitors and maintains sectional budget.
- Interviews potential new employees and makes recommendations on personnel issues, completes performance reviews and counsels employees on performance related issues. Evaluates workload, assignments and resolves interpersonal conflicts among staff.
- Develops and recommends standards, sectional policies and procedures. Trains staff in the proper application of City and departmental policies and procedures. Cross trains employee functions to assure City operations are not interrupted during employees shortages.
- Oversees the maintenance of specialized equipment necessary for billing, and computer monitoring for the telephone system.
- Consults with Division Manager or Superintendent, other departments, vendors and consultants on operation of Customer Information Systems mainframe computer.
- Acts as Records Custodian for Customer Service files and records. Answers subpoenas and consults with Law Department on issues regarding all aspects of records concerning customer service and maintenance related conflicts.
- Knowledge of utility operations, billing procedure, bookkeeping and accounting procedures; State and local laws governing same.
- Knowledge of standard office procedures and practices.
- Knowledge of state and local laws governing delinquent billing collections.
- Skill in office and business management, supervision and public relations.
- Skill in problem solving with customer complaints.
- Skill in using personal computers, standard and customized software application, common and specialized office machinery and equipment.
- Skill in utilizing appropriate interpersonal skills when interacting with confrontational individuals.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships across sectional and/or departmental lines as well as with other organizations outside the City.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION: Associate Degree from an accredited college with a major in Accounting, Finance, Business Management, Human Relations or related field; with three (3) years of customer service related experience and a minimum of one (1) year supervisory experience, or any equivalent combination of training and experience. A valid Florida driver’s license required.
Last Revision date: October 2001