Director of Support Services
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge skills, and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class.)DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (Which are not in any hierarchical order)
- Oversees operation of the department to ensure all work flows in the department and is prioritized appropriately.
- Supervises the activities of assigned staff, schedules employees, assigns work, and monitors progress, conducts performance evaluations.
- Monitors management staff and coaches as needed in the development, implementation and monitoring of long term departmental plans, goals, and objectives focused on achieving the City mission and the City Commission’s priorities.
- Develops and monitors the budget for the Support Services Department.
- Directs the selection, installation, testing, training, and ongoing maintenance of citywide computer hardware and software.
- Directs the selection, installation testing and ongoing maintenance of the city-wide telephone system.
- Directs the selection, installation, and testing and ongoing maintenance of a city-wide 800 MHZ radio and microwave system.
- Directs the acquisition and distribution of cellular telephones, personal digital assistants, rs, and radios.
- Coordinates the City’s responsibilities with regards to cable TV.
- Directs the City’s downtown maintenance program.
- Directs building maintenance, air conditioning, printing and mail delivery.
- Creates, monitors, and implements policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of City, federal and state laws, rules, regulations, and ordinances specific to areas of assignment.
- Knowledge of complex subject matter related to area of assignment.
- Knowledge of management and administration practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of budget development, monitoring and administration practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of public relations / customer service practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of complex computer hardware, software, and communication systems.
- Skill in motivating and developing team building within diverse departments.
- Skill in utilizing written and oral communication in developing management level reports and presentations.
- Skill in developing and implementing programs, policies and procedures.
- Skill in prioritizing and managing multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
- Skill in assigning, delegating, reviewing and evaluating work.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in Business Administration, Computer Sciences or related field, and eight (8) years of progressively responsible experience in MIS and General City Management, including year (1) managerial experience, or any equivalent combination of training and experience. A valid Florida driver’s license is required.
Last revision: December 2006