Economic Development Manager
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class.)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (which are not in any hierarchical order)
- Coordinates with Office of the Mayor, Administration, the Community Redevelopment Agency (CRA) and other City departments; Public, Private and Nonprofit agencies and other groups to identify economic development goals, strategies and projects to enhance economic development, promote business retention and development and job creation in the City. This includes projects for stimulating private sector investment in designated low income areas and programs.
- Develops the City’s Comprehensive Business Plan including data on business conditions; attraction and retention strategies and goals; neighborhood commercial development opportunities; international, national and other marketing plans; strategies for securing private investment in economic development projects; and the development of financing proposals, loans or grant programs, and other methods to realize the Business Plan’s goals.
- Acts as liaison with Private and Public stakeholders to promote Business Plan goals, economic development strategies and projects.
- Prepares reports on economic development trends, development opportunities, and threats to the City’s economic health.
- Acts a liaison to the City’s Community Redevelopment Agency to support the City’s redevelopment plans.
- Provides review of economic development financial proposals for reasonableness and feasibility.
- Meets with representatives of local lending institutions and advises them of economic development projects to solicit their support and participation.
- Supervises staff in the economic development area.
- Assists in the preparation of departmental budgets for Economic Development Division.
- Attends meetings as required.
- Performs all other related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of economic development principles including finance and incentive finance, commercial revitalization, business and workforce development, job attraction and retention programs.
- Knowledge of Federal, State, Public/Private funding sources for the promotion and funding of economic development goals, strategies and projects.
- Considerable knowledge of various tax laws and conventional and specialized financing techniques and leveraging.
- This employee will work with considerable independence within the scope of professional methods and procedures.
- Skills in personnel and financial management.
- Skills in policy development.
- Skills in effective verbal and written communications.
- Ability to work effectively with public officials, City employees, business owners, leaders and community groups.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work is performed mostly in an office setting. Some outdoor work is required in the inspection of various land use developments and construction sites. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to talk or hear, sit, use repetitive motions of the hands and/or fingers, handle, feel, or operate objects, tools or controls and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stands, walk, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, push, pull, finger, grasp, lift and/or move light objects (up to 10 pounds) and perform other similar actions during the course of the work day. The City of West Palm Beach promotes a drug/alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Business Administration, Finance, Economics, Real Estate Development, Planning, Public Administration or a related field and three (3) years proven experience in economic development project design, execution and management; a working knowledge of economic development loan programs, business plan development, and/or development project management skills are strongly desired, including one (1) year lead/supervisory experience. Masters degree preferred with demonstrated finance, planning and project development skills preferred. A valid driver’s license is required.
Last revision date: January 2005