ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge skills, and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class.)DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (Which are not in any hierarchical order)
- Responds, records and/or routes incoming telephone calls, e-mails, or walk-ins.
- Composes, types, transcribes, and edits a variety of correspondence, reports, memoranda, and other material from written draft or dictation.
- Performs a variety of routine and complex secretarial duties.
- Maintains confidential records and reports.
- Maintains schedules, completes travel arrangements and processes travel requests for advances or reimbursement.
- Maintains and tracks budgetary expenditures, processes invoices and budgetary expenditures.
- May transcribe minutes and dictation requiring the understanding of complex terminology.
- Establishes and maintains accurate records and files.
- Assists in preparation and assembly of the City Commission agenda.
- Responds to inquiries and requests.
- May supervise other clerical staff.
- Knowledge of City policies, practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of general office machines, practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of advanced computer software programs pertinent to area of assignment.
- Knowledge of basic accounting procedures.
- Knowledge of record keeping and file maintenance practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of State statutes governing public records.
- Skill in composing, handling, and responding to written correspondence at an upper management level.
- Skill in maintaining confidential information and reports.
- Skill in prioritizing and handling multi tasks and assignments simultaneously.
- Skill in utilizing business English including appropriate grammar, punctuation and spelling.
- Skill in utilizing public relations techniques in responding to inquiries and complaints.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Associate’s Degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Business Administration or related field and five (5) years secretarial or office management experience at the management level, or any equivalent combination of training and experience. A valid Florida driver’s license is required for some positions.
Last revision date: October 2001