Fire Prevention Lieutenant
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class.)DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (which are not in any hierarchical order)
- Inspects businesses for compliance with fire codes.
- Prepares correspondence citing violations of fire codes.
- Consults with public and with businesses regarding fire code requirements.
- Investigates causes and origin of fires and prepares arson cases for prosecution.
- Performs follow-up work on fire code citations including re-inspection and filing cases with City prosecutor.
- Inspects fire alarms, sprinkler systems, and other fire safety equipment in new and existing buildings.
- Educates the public on fire safety.
- Processes and investigates complaints from the public.
- Attends job related training courses/seminars to maintain certification and/or enhance job performance.
- Reviews and applies fire codes to blue prints.
- Performs fire-fighting activities as needed.
- Based on certification and as needed, administers appropriate emergency medical care in accordance with the medical protocols adopted by the West Palm Beach Fire Rescue Department.
- May assume the duties and responsibilities of the Fire Prevention Captain as required.
- Knowledge of legalities of arson and civil law.
- Knowledge of city, state, and national fire codes, including the State Fire Prevention Code.
- Knowledge of the collective bargaining agreement.
- Knowledge of fire investigation techniques and procedures.
- Skills in oral and written communications.
- Skills in public relations.
- Ability to operate office, photography and fire fighting equipment.
- Ability to act effectively in emergency and stressful situations.
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with employees, other agencies and the general public.
- Ability to accept lines of authority, promote harmony, and cooperate with other officers and workers.
- Ability to apply functional reasoning; requires the ability to apply principles of rational systems to interpret instructions furnished in written, oral, diagrammatic or schedule form and to exercise independent judgment to adopt or modify methods and standards to meet variations in assigned objectives.
- Ability to apply situational reasoning; requires the ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness, and creativity in situations involving the evaluation of information against sensory judgmental or subjective criteria as opposed to that which is clearly measurable or verifiable.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: High school diploma or GED and thirty (30) semester credit hours in Fire Science, EMS Management, Business or Public Administration or a related field, and six (6) years continuous service in the City of West Palm Beach Fire Department. State of Florida Firefighter, EMT or Paramedic certification and Fire Safety I Certification are required. A valid Florida driver’s license, Class D ( or better) with an E endorsement, is required and must have completed an approved emergency vehicle operator’s course (EVOC). Must not, within the last three years have been convicted of reckless driving or driving under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances and have not had a driver’s license suspended under the point system provided in Chapter 322, Florida Statues.
Last revision date: December 2004