GIS Support Specialist
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class.)DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (which are not in any hierarchical order)
- Works with the Property Appraiser to ensure that the City’s property databases are kept up to date with the latest official Property Appraiser parcel data.
- Performs the addressing functions of the City of West Palm Beach to include, but not limited to, addressing of all new parcels and plats’ addressing of re-plats; process change of address requests; and maintains the Geographic Information System property files and the Land Management Property files for the City.
- Works with other City departments to coordinate property file updates.
- Creates and maintains reports and maps using the GIS software and the computerized land management software in support of the Construction Services Department and other City departments as necessary.
- Works with the Real Estate Specialist to ensure that the GIS Property Database and the Land Management System property files contain accurate and reliable information required to provide the analytical and reporting capability that is needed by the City.
- Works under the direction of the GIS Coordinator in the development and maintenance of the Geographic Information System and related databases.
- Documents GIS procedures.
- Knowledge of and proficiency in the use of computers and operating systems.
- Knowledge of input/output devices such as digitizers and plotters.
- Knowledge of modern GIS systems methodologies, techniques, and tools.
- Knowledge of relational database technology.
- Knowledge of GIS data and process modeling techniques.
- Knowledge in two or more of the following: ArcGIS, ArcInfo, ArcView, Oracle 8i spatial.
- Knowledge in Oracle and SQL.
- Ability to use personal productivity PC tools. (word processing, spreadsheets, graphics)
- Ability to express oneself clearly and concisely both orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Associate’s degree from an accredited technical school or college with a major in Computer Science or Programming, and three (3) years working experience in computer applications such as CADD or GIS, or any equivalent combination of training and experience. Experience with Windows operating systems in a network environment and ArcGIS or ArcView software on a Windows based workstation platform, preferred.
Last Revised date: April 2004