Help Desk Supervisor
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge skills, and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class.)DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (Which are not in any hierarchical order)
- Supervises and evaluates the performance of the PC Technicians in the MIS Support Division.
- Develops standards, policies and procedures for the Help Desk.
- Researches and recommends purchases of computer hardware, computer peripherals, and software for all City desktop computers.
- Assists in maintaining desktop application licensing requirements.
- Provides technical support to all City departments in resolving network and computer hardware or software issues.
- Maintains a solutions data base of technical issues affecting end users.
- Evaluates new information systems products or services and suggests changes to existing products or services to better aide the end user.
- Manages the help desk system software and its database.
- Documents, tracks and monitors work orders to ensure accurate and timely resolution.
- Generates help desk performance and metric reports for the Management Information Systems (MIS) Support Division.
- Act as Team Lead for creating network and email accounts, setting up laptops/desktops.
- Acts as Team Lead for the administration and maintenance of Internal Systems programs such as Microsoft OS, Microsoft Office, Lotus Notes, Oracle and Pentamation licenses.
- Knowledge of City, federal and state rules and regulations related to telecommunications.
- Knowledge of Management Information Systems methodology, principles and practices.
- Knowledge of management and administration practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of installation, maintenance, troubleshooting and repair of a variety of end user and network computer operating systems.
- Knowledge of basic general office systems that interface with peripheral computer equipment.
- Skill in prioritizing, assigning, reviewing and evaluating work.
- Skill in managing multiple projects, systems analysis, planning and organizing in a timely manner.
- Skill in responding to telephone or on site inquiries related to troubleshooting computer and software problems.
- Skill in accurately determining the hardware and software needs of the departments and end users.
- Skill in utilizing written and verbal communication in the development of reports.
- Skill in utilizing customer service and public relations techniques in responding to inquiries and complaints.
- Ability to supervise and direct the work of professional and technical personnel.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally, and in writing with all levels of management and external agencies to coordinate and implement departmental applications.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to evaluate training needs and objectives for technical staff.
- Ability to diagnose and resolve complex technical problems.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Computer Information Systems and four (4) year of experience in the installation of computer networking and communications equipment, or any equivalent combination of training and experience in an end user support role including three (3) of Help Desk experience. A valid Florida driver’s license is required and course work specific to the Help Desk are required.
Last Revision date: October 2006