Benefits and HRIS Manager
SUMMARY: Under general direction, administers and oversees the daily activities of the HRIS and Benefits Division to include processing and maintenance of central personnel systems, mainframe and personal computer based human resources information systems; and performs related duties as assigned. Responsible for proactively managing the City’s benefit plans to maximize employee retention, compete with the marketplace for talent and demonstrate fiscal stewardship.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge skills, and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class.)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (Which are not in any hierarchical order)
- Proactively directs and reviews all aspects of the City’s benefit programs.
- Directs, reviews, and makes recommendations related to the City’s performance appraisal systems.
- Continuously seeks ways to eliminate waste, improve processes and maximize customer service.
- Prepares and manages the division annual budget, annual Benefit plans and submits to Commission via resolution; submits revisions to resolution quarterly or as necessary. Conducts area survey and derives market information from other surveys.
- Prepares reports related to loss ratio, claims status, benefits and pension programs, etc. Prepares costing analysis and projects financial impact of changes to benefits or compensation programs.
- Provides training to supervisory personnel and staff regarding regulatory compliance with ERISA, COBRA, and FMLA.
- Champions the HRIS needs of the HR Department. Develops for approval the HRIS long range plan and is responsible for the timely implementation of the plan within budget.
- Maintains, updates, and monitors data entry into Human Resources Information System for all data related to area of assignment.
- Develops policies and procedures for tracking data related to area of assignment; i.e. performance appraisal completion dates and pertinent information, or benefits and pensions.
- Participates in set-up and testing of new human resources application and upgrades of existing human resources applications.
- Trains and assists users in the utilization and operation of the human resources information system applications. Develops and recommends procedures for the proper use of applications to include setting up new account segments, and assigning responsibilities to new users, and/or changing the responsibilities of current users.
- Oversees the processing and maintenance of central personnel systems, mainframe and personal computer based human resources information systems.
- Develops and implements a succession plan and individual staff development plans to include cross training of the entire staff.
- Supports and participates in union negotiation, planning, etc, by providing information pertinent to negotiations, keeping union representative informed as to human resources actions, applicable labor markets, and implementation of changes.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of City, federal and state rules, regulations and guidelines related to the full range of employment and labor issues.
- Knowledge of Public Personnel administration, practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of management and supervision methods, practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of mediation, negotiation, and conflict resolution methods, practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of budget planning, development and administration practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of best practices in benefits and retirement plans.
- Skill in utilizing verbal and written communication in the development of reports, training materials and presentations.
- Skill in prioritizing, motivating, assigning, reviewing and evaluating work.
- Skill in utilizing customer service/public relations methods and techniques when responding to technical inquiries or employee complaints.
- Skill in survey development, implementation and analysis.
- Skill in developing and fostering excellence in customer service.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work involves moderate work generally in an office setting. There is frequent need to walk, sit, talk, hear, use of hands to finger, handle or feel and perform other similar actions during the course of the workday. The City of West Palm Beach promotes a drug/alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Human Resources Management, Business Administration, Mathematics, Organizational Development or Psychology, and five (5) years of progressively responsible professional experience in classification, compensation, benefits, and human resources information systems, including two (2) years of supervisory experience in related areas, or any equivalent combination of training and experience required. A valid Florida driver’s license is required. Masters degree and/or professional certification preferred.
Last revision: December 2006