Lead Wastewater Plant Operator
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class.)DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (which are not in any hierarchical order)
- Schedule, train and oversee the activities of WasteWater Plant Operators; participate in hiring, evaluation, and disciplinary activities.
- Inspect and monitor plant mechanical, hydraulic, and electrical equipment; monitor plant SCADA system; perform tests to verify proper plant operation.
- Performs preventive and emergency maintenance on plant equipment.
- Collects samples and performs process control testing.
- Analyzes process control results and adjusts operations to maximize efficiency.
- Adjusts or recalibrates equipment and instrumentation as necessary.
- Compiles and inputs data required for various City, State and Federal entities.
- Completes required activity logs for assigned shift.
- Knowledge of the federal, state, and local rules, regulations, policies and procedures regarding the operation and administration of wastewater systems.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of engineering.
- Knowledge of various types of airborne and/or waterborne infectious diseases.
- Knowledge of the various chemicals used in wastewater treatment.
- Knowledge of all permit required monitoring parameter levels needed for compliance with federal, state, and local regulations.
- Knowledge of supervisory principles and practices.
- Skill in organizing, overseeing, and reviewing the work of wastewater plant personnel.
- Skill in operating wastewater treatment equipment.
- Skill in the proper use of hazardous chemicals.
- Skill in utilizing public relationstechniques in responding to inquiries and complaints.
- Ability to obtain and maintain required certification as a lead wastewater operator.
- Ability to follow safety practices and recognizes hazards.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Associate’s degree from an accredited vocational/technical school with studies in Wastewater Technology or related field, and four (4) years related experience, or any equivalent combination of training and experience. State of Florida Wastewater Operator License B is required.