Permitting and Licensing Services Manager
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class.)DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (Which are not in any hierarchical order.)
- Interprets building codes, statutes and regulations dealing with construction of structures.
- Supervises technical and administrative staff in the enforcement of various City ordinances related to building codes.
- Supervises allocation of street addresses in accordance with emergency and postal services standards.
- Develops, establishes and enforces regulations which require the inspection of businesses to secure occupational licenses and rental occupational licenses.
- Supervises staff in the processing of permits from application through issuance.
- Supervises the review of plans in checking for compliance with adopted codes and statutes.
- Supervises the review and issuance of occupational licenses.
- Makes periodic inspections to ensure plan design conforms to adopted codes, statutes and accepted construction practices.
- Interprets policies and advises developers, architects, engineers and the general public on City and departmental policies and procedures necessary for compliance.
- Coordinates with all City departments in cases involving enforcement of building codes and occupational licensing and ensures that all cases are properly presented before the Code Enforcement Board.
- Monitors training and certification records to ensure that all Plans Examiners maintain the requisite specialty license and the required training for license renewal.
- Provides coordination between plan review and inspection services to ensure efficient and consistent enforcement of building codes, statutes and regulations.
- Knowledge of modern practices and methods employed in building, gas, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, energy, ADA accessibility and related codes.
- Knowledge of modern principles, practices and techniques of inspection and plan review activities, civil engineering and architecture.
- Knowledge of emergency services and postal service standards for street addressing.
- Knowledge of supervisory and management principles and practices.
- Knowledge of City and state laws and regulations governing all phases and types of construction.
- Skill in problem solving.
- Skill in developing and implementing new policies, procedures and programs.
- Ability to enforce building codes and regulations in a tactful and impartial manner.
- Ability to express ideas clearly through oral and written reports.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: High school diploma and ten (10) years of progressively responsible building code enforcement experience including five (5) years supervisory experience, or any equivalent combination of training and experience. State of Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation licensure as a Building Code Administrator, or ability to obtain such licensure within one (1) year of employment. A valid Florida driver’s license is required.
Last revision: December 2006