Recreation Center Supervisor
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class.)DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (which are not in any hierarchical order)
- Plans, organizes and supervises the development, implementation and administration of recreation programs for the City of West Palm Beach Community Centers and related facilities.
- Provides direct supervision of a Center by effectively managing the respective Center and related facilities, personnel, payroll, purchasing, materials and equipment.
- Interacts and communicates with individuals, community groups, and committees to promote interest and develop recreation program support, including fundraising.
- Plans, organizes, promotes and monitors special events.
- Prepares written documents including correspondence, reports as required.
- Investigates and resolves complaints and concerns as may be generated by others.
- Conducts research to stay current on recreation program development and management.
- Coordinates instructor-teaching contracts.
- Obtains sponsorships for various recreation needs.
- Sells and receives field permits.
- Knowledge of methods and techniques for recreation program planning, execution and facility maintenance.
- Knowledge of recreation activities for children, adolescents, adults, and senior citizens.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, and methods of recreation management.
- Knowledge of personal computer usage and applicable software.
- Knowledge of program evaluation techniques.
- Knowledge of methods, techniques, rules, and regulations in a variety of competitive games and sports.
- Skill in developing and implementing program enhancements and corrections.
- Skill in applying supervisory practices and performing lead responsibilities over others.
- Skill in program planning, organizing and evaluating.
- Skill in prioritizing, and managing a diverse number of recreational programs and facilities.
- Skill in delegating effectively, planning, organizing, and controlling employees.
- Ability to effectively communicate, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work cooperatively with other West Palm Beach employees and the general public.
- Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Recreation or Leisure Management, or closely related field, and three (3) years experience in a recreation and/or leisure environment, including one (1) year supervisory experience, or any equivalent combination of training and experience. First aide and CPR certification and Child Development Associate Certification. A valid Florida Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with air breaks and “P” endorsement is required.