ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:(Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge skills, and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class.)DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (Which are not in any hierarchical order)
- Prepares a variety of periodic and special financial reports for department heads, managers, City Council, and outside consultants or agencies.
- Prepares, reviews and analyzes monthly financial reports.
- Prepares and audits budgets for capital project, and a variety of programs.
- Assists departments in preparing and monitoring budgets, and compliance with internal controls, practices and procedures.
- Reviews and authorizes payments, fund transfers, and journal entries.
- Assists in the preparation, scheduling, and coordination of information for auditors.
- Supervises accounting department activities ensuring compliance with applicable policies and procedures. Supervises, trains and evaluates the work of assigned staff.
- Maintains and monitors, documents, files and records related to analysis of financial statements, reports, and audits.
- Knowledge of governmental auditing, finance and accounting methods, practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of computer software applications for automated accounting systems.
- Knowledge of City, federal and state laws, rules and regulations governing accounting and finance practices.
- Knowledge of record keeping and file maintenance of public records.
- Skill in utilizing computer databases and software in the performance of a wide variety of accounting and reporting of financial information.
- Skill in utilizing verbal and written communication in the preparation of financial statements, reports and presentations.
- Skill in prioritizing, assigning, and reviewing work.
- Skill in analyzing statistical and financial information.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work involves sedentary to light work in an office setting. There is frequent need to stand, stoop, walk, sit, lift light objects (up to 10 pounds) and perform other similar actions during the course of the workday. The City of West Palm Beach promotes a drug/alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Accounting, Finance Business Administration or a related field, and four (4) years of progressively responsible accounting and financial reporting experience, or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
Last Revision date: October 2001