Senior Network and System Engineer
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge skills, and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class.)DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (Which are not in any hierarchical order – including but not limited to :)
- Acts as Team Lead for the administration and maintenance of infrastructure as directed by MIS Managers.
- Design, Specify, configure, install, and maintain LAN/WAN/Wi-Fi hardware, software, and telecommunications services such as personal computers, system software, software applications, printers, servers, routers, switches, wireless devices, cabling, and dedicated Internet connection.
- Provide routine after-hours maintenance and emergency support as needed to maintain and secure network
- Establish and maintain network users, user environment , directories, and security attributes.
- Oversee set up and troubleshoot communications between computers, networks, data switches, printers, and other network and wireless resources.
- Recommend purchase of all MIS related equipment for computer systems and infrastructure, including but not limited to cable, routers, switches, software and manuals, always keeping in mind the standards that have been set and the overall best interest of the City of West Palm Beach
- Ensure compliance with policies and procedures related to network hardware and software acquisition, user support, security, and backup.
- Ensure execution of a periodic backup of essential files and datasets, including the ability to restore selected files/datasets upon request in an expeditious manner.
- Develop and maintain documentation of all processes associated with administration of the network and duties performed by network administrators.
- Test, learn and evaluate software and hardware
- Conduct research to obtain current information about latest trends in networking.
- Work with MIS management to develop and communicate standards for use, operations, and security of network, personal computers, and data.
- Serves as a Team Lead for troubleshooting, systems backups, archiving, and disaster recovery done by more junior position.
- Assists in the facilitation of team meetings. Delivers informative, well-organized presentations.
- Mentors those with less experience through informal channels.
- Seeks and participates in development opportunities above and beyond training required by the City of West Palm Beach.
- Suggests areas for improvement in internal processes along with possible solutions.
- Knowledge of City, federal and state rules and regulations related to telecommunications.
- Knowledge of Management Information Systems methodology, principles and practices.
- Knowledge of installation, maintenance, troubleshooting and repair of a variety of end user and network computer operating systems.
- Skill in prioritizing, assigning, reviewing and evaluating work.
- Skill in managing multiple projects, systems analysis, planning and organizing in a timely manner.
- Skill in accurately determining the hardware and software needs of the departments and end users.
- Skill in utilizing written and verbal communication in the development of reports.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally, and in writing with all levels of management and external agencies to coordinate and implement departmental applications.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to evaluate training needs and objectives for technical staff.
- Ability to diagnose and resolve complex technical problems.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Computer Information Systems and two (2) to four (4) year of experience in the installation of computer networking and communications equipment, or any equivalent combination of training and experience.. A valid Florida driver’s license is required and course work specific to the help desk are required.
Last Revision date: October 2006