Senior Personal Computer Technician
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge skills, and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class.)DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (Which are not in any hierarchical order – including but not limited to:)
- Identifies and addresses technical problems (including installation, repair and system integrity) in computers, printers and other related equipment
- Acts as Team Lead for the administration and maintenance of the PC/Laptop and printer Technology Replacement Plan as directed by MIS Managers.
- Installs, Configures, upgrades, maintains and troubleshoots end user computers and peripherals.
- Maintains logs, records and user documentation procedures on computer assistance provided, computer settings, and computer asset inventory database.
- Responds to inquiries and instructs end users onsite or over the telephone in the safe and efficient use of their computers and programs.
- Troubleshoots hardware and arranges replacement parts from approved vendors or manufacturers.
- Configures personal computers for new employees.
- Assists Network Administrator and System Programmer in managing and maintaining a network of microcomputers including security, system patches and access.
- Provide routine after-hours maintenance and emergency support as needed to maintain and support end users.
- Establish and maintain user environment, directories, and security attributes.
- Oversee set up and troubleshoot communications between computers, networks, data switches, printers, and other network and wireless resources.
- Recommend purchase of MIS related equipment for computer systems and peripherals, software and manuals, always keeping in mind the standards that have been set and the overall best interest on the City of West Palm Beach
- Test, learn and evaluate software and hardware
- Serves as a Team Lead for troubleshooting, microcomputers, desktop applications, operating systems and disaster recovery done by more junior position.
- Mentors those with less experience through informal channels.
- Seeks and participates in development opportunities above and beyond training required by the City of West Palm Beach.
- Suggests areas for improvement in internal processes along with possible solutions.
- Identifies and addresses software issues including loading, modifying and removal and training.
- Assist with the Help Desk operations. Documents all calls, solutions and recommendations.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Knowledge of City, federal and state rules and regulations related to telecommunications.
- Knowledge of Management Information Systems methodology, principles and practices.
- Knowledge of installation, maintenance, troubleshooting and repair of a variety of end user and network computer operating systems.
- Skill in prioritizing, assigning, reviewing and evaluating work.
- Skill in managing multiple projects, systems analysis, planning and organizing in a timely manner.
- Skill in accurately determining the hardware and software needs of the departments and end users.
- Skill in utilizing written and verbal communication in the development of reports.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally, and in writing with all levels of management and external agencies to coordinate and implement departmental applications.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to evaluate training needs and objectives for technical staff.
- Ability to diagnose and resolve complex technical problems.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Associate’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Computer Information Systems and four (4) year of experience in the installation of computer networking and communications equipment, or any equivalent combination of training and experience in an end user support role. A valid Florida driver’s license is required.
Last Revision date: October 2006