ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:(Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge skills, and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class.)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (Which are not in any hierarchical order)
- Maintains, installs, upgrades computer equipment or makes arrangement for the repairs or upgrades.
- Maintains, installs and upgrades operating systems software and utilities.
- Troubleshoots, diagnoses, and repairs system failures or problems.
- Provides technical assistance to end users and programmers.
- Installs and repairs communication and network equipment and cabling.
- Maintains technical library for technical staff and end users.
- Knowledge of City, federal and state telecommunication rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of computer hardware, software, peripherals, networking systems, and Management
- Information Systems installation, maintenance and repair.
- Knowledge of telecommunication equipment and data communication installation, maintenance and repair.
- Knowledge of applications software, programming logic, and data structure.
- Knowledge of customer service and public relations practices and procedures.
- Skill in safely and effectively recognizing, diagnosing, repairing, upgrading and installing a wide variety of computer hardware, software and communication equipment.
- Skill in prioritizing and handling multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Skill in safely installing computer network cabling and utilities.
- Skill in utilizing verbal and written communication in the provision of technical assistance to end users and programmers.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work involves moderate to heavy work while installing computer and communication equipment and cabling in an office environment. There is frequent need to stand, stoop, walk, sit, climb in high precarious places, lift moderate to heavy objects (up to 50 pounds) and perform other similar actions during the course of the workday. The City of West Palm Beach promotes a drug/alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Computer Information Systems and four (4) year of experience in the installation of computer networking and communications equipment, or any equivalent combination of training and experience. A valid Florida driver’s license is required.
Last Revision date: October 2001