Systems Support Manager
SUMMARY: Under general direction, oversees the daily activities of the Computer Center operations and technical staff, and performs related duties as assigned.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:(Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge skills, and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class.)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (Which are not in any hierarchical order)
- Manages diverse technical staff of the Support Services Division including hiring, supervision, development, evaluation, and disciplinary action.
- Develops and monitors the Division’s budget for General Services.
- Participates in the development and implementation of all MIS policies and procedures including those for architecture, security, disaster recovery, standards, purchasing, and service provision.
- Designs, implements and maintains the City’s local and wide area network systems (LAN/WAN).
- Develops standards, policies and procedures for multi-platform computer center and city-wide LAN/WAN.
- Provides technical support to all City departments in resolving network and computer hardware or software issues.
- Oversees the development and implementation of training programs for the City’s standard desktop applications.
- Oversees ongoing end-user support, including the help desk and technical support services.
- Develops business case justifications and cost/benefit analysis.
- Negotiates and administers vendor, outsourcer, and consultant contracts and service agreements.
- Knowledge of City, federal and state rules and regulations related to telecommunications.
- Knowledge of multi-site, multi-platform LAN/WAN administration, maintenance and management practices and principles.
- Knowledge of standard computer hardware and software equipment and applications utilized by municipal entities.
- Knowledge of Management Information Systems methodology, principles and practices.
- Knowledge of network analysis, design and programming principles and practices.
- Knowledge of management and administration practices and procedures.
- Skill in prioritizing, assigning, reviewing and evaluating work.
- Skill in managing multiple projects in a timely manner.
- Skill in utilizing written and verbal communication in the development of management level reports and presentations.
- Skill in troubleshooting and resolving technical problems related to multi-platform LAN/WAN or computer software issues.
- Skill in utilizing customer service and public relations techniques in responding to inquiries and complaints.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work involves moderately heavy work in an office setting. There is frequent need to stand, stoop, walk, sit, lift objects (up to 50 pounds) and perform other similar actions during the course of the workday. The City of West Palm Beach promotes a drug/alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Computer Science, Math, Business Administration, or related field, and eight (8) years of progressively responsible related experience, including three (3) years of lead/supervisory experience. MBA preferred. A valid Florida’s driver’s license is required.
Last Revision date: December 2006