SUMMARY Under general supervision of the Director of Public Utilities, provides work team development and coaching. Educates the work teams in learning self-organization, interpersonal skills, self-evaluation and self-management. Helps the work teams stay focused on goals and manage conflicts and boundaries; may perform other duties as assigned.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Essential functions, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class.) Provides leadership and guidance to assist in the development and operation of teams in accordance with standard team-based processes.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES:(Which are not in hierarchical order)
- Works with teams in setting specific short and long-term goals.
- Ensures that all goals are measured and results are utilized constructively.
- Coordinates the preparation of performance evaluations on teams and team members and assists in resolving any noted performance problems.
- Trains and coaches prospective and established team leaders and team members in effective meeting skills, presentation skills, goal measuring skills, conflict management and consensus building skills, interviewing skills, customer service and budgeting procurement skills.
- Attends team meetings to ensure effectiveness.
- Helps teams develop through the use of structured training and an orientation process for new members.
- On a monthly basis, reviews goals and competitive performance measurements and helps teams resolve problems that impede progress and cause goals not to be met.
- Supports and helps teams in dealing proactively with cross-team problems and internal conflicts.
- Provides team-building experiences.
- Provides the necessary support to team members in order for them to take full leadership in planning their work and making individual work assignments.
- Knowledge of team development, coaching and conflict resolution and consensus modeling.
- Ability to concentrate for long periods of time, manage stressful situations and handle a high workload.
- Ability to work at a fast pace and deal with multiple priorities.
- Skill in the use of personal computers, word processing and spreadsheet program, calculators, telephones, copy and fax machines and tape recorder.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: While performing the duties of this job, the incumbent is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions, hot, wet, and humid conditions and fumes and airborne particles. The employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk, use repetitive motion of the wrist, hands and/or fingers, handle, feel objects, tools or controls and reach with hands and arms; to cling, stoop, kneel, crouch, stand, push, pull or grasp and lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. The City of West Palm Beach promotes a drug/alcohol free environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Business Administration, Industrial Relations, Human Resources Management, Psychology, with specialization in Management Development skills, team building, self directed work team implementation, or a related field, with five (5) years of progressively responsible team developer/coordinator experience; or any equivalent combination of training and experience. A valid Florida driver’s license is required.
Last revision: October 2001