SUMMARY: Under general direction, supervises, coordinates and controls the maintenance and operation of the City’s trunked radio system; telephone, voice data communications and the telecommunications repair shop; and performs related duties as assigned.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class.)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (which are not in any hierarchical order)
- Supervises the operations of the telecommunications maintenance personnel.
- Consults with City department management regarding their telecommunications requirements and problems.
- Monitors the operation and security of the City’s cable and wireless transmission facilities.
- Develops contingency and strategic telecommunications plans to meet the anticipated needs of the City.
- Assists in the administration of the budget in regards to telecommunications services and equipment.
- Supervises the City’s inventory of parts and equipment to ensure continuous service.
- Contracts with vendors and telecommunications contractors to provide services as necessary.
- Manages and coordinates telecommunications construction projects.
- Manages and safeguards the City’s radio equipment database and assets.
- Serves as the department’s liaison to FCC in regards to regulatory and licensing issues.
- Knowledge of supervisory methods and techniques.
- Knowledge of the installation, repair and maintenance of conventional and wireless telecommunication equipment and wiring, hardware and software.
- Knowledge of electrical and communications engineering.
- Knowledge of common hand and power tools.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions.
- Knowledge of FCC rules and regulations.
- Skill in supervising, evaluating, training and motivating employees.
- Skill in scheduling and prioritizing manpower and projects.
- Skill in utilizing computer databases to maintain and update records, files, and inventory.
- Skill in planning, prioritizing, and directing the maintenance of conventional or wireless telecommunications equipment and wiring.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City staff and the public.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work is performed in an office environment and in field supervision that may include moderate to heavy work in all types of weather. There is frequent need to stand, stoop, walk, and occasional need to lift heavy objects (up to 50 pounds) and perform other similar actions during the course of the workday. The City of West Palm Beach promotes a drug/alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Associate’s degree from an accredited college with a major in Engineering or Business and five (5) years experience in the maintenance and management of communications systems, or any equivalent combination of training and experience. FCC General Radio telephone license or industry recognized equivalent and valid Florida driver’s license are required.
Last Revision date: October 2001