Traffic Maintenance Technician
SUMMARY: Under direct supervision, assists in the installation, maintenance and repair of traffic control devices including striping and signage; and performs related duties as assigned.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class.)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (which are not in any hierarchical order)
- Prepares street surface for stripping by operating grinder to remove old markings as necessary.
- Applies thermo-plastic stripping to road surface.
- Repairs or replaces signs that are damaged or missing.
- Barricades work area according to safety practices; flags and directs traffic at work site to ensure workers safety.
- Operates air compressor, jackhammer, and other machinery associated with traffic maintenance.
- Repairs or replaces paver stones, ballards, trashcans, and benches as necessary.
- Completes daily reports, work orders, and time sheets for all jobs.
- Fabricates, makes or assists or fabricates street and traffic control signs.
- Places and removes barricade to close streets for special events and emergencies.
- Fabricates, installs and removes banners for special events.
- Installs and removes traffic counters at various locations.
- Maintains cleanliness of shop, work areas and truck.
- Observes standard operating procedures and safety practices.
- Remains on-call as essential personnel for any City emergency.
- Knowledge of highway and street signs, markings and their various meanings.
- Knowledge of the City’s philosophy regarding traffic control within its borders.
- Knowledge of common hand and power tools.
- Knowledge of basic preventive maintenance on assigned equipment.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions.
- Skill in utilizing public relations techniques in responding to inquiries and complaints.
- Skill in using hand and power tools.
- Skill in following safety practices and recognizing hazards.
- Skill in operating and working around traffic and moving equipment.
- Skill in operating computer software used to fabricate signs.
- Ability to follow oral or written instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative work relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to perform moderate to heavy work in adverse weather conditions.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work involves moderate to heavy work in all types of weather. There is frequent need to stand, stoop, walk, climb, lift heavy objects (up to 50 pounds) and perform other similar actions during the course of the workday. The City of West Palm Beach promotes a drug/alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: High School diploma or GED and six (6) months experience in highway striping and sign fabrication, or any equivalent combination of training and experience. A valid Florida driver’s license is required. A Commercial Driver’s License, Class B, may be required depending upon assignment.
Last revision date: October 2001