ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class.)DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (which are not in any hierarchical order)
- Using radio and telephone equipment, dispatches public works field personnel, including emergency repair crews as requested by public works supervisors, the public or other City of West Palm Beach departments.
- Answers telephones, asks relevant questions and directs phone calls to other departments or agencies.
- Monitors and logs all communications, enters information on forms and computer equipment, and prepares reports as needed.
- Monitors computer telemetry systems, security systems, nature center’s security system, and alerts response personnel to alarms.
- Responds to after-hours customer service inquires and coordinates service response with appropriate division.
- Assigns work orders to field personnel, and provides assistance in locating underground utilities on systems maps.
- Monitors weather and advise crew of storms or other weather conditions.
- Maintains knowledge of health department regulations pertaining to sewage spills for boil water notification.
- Attends job related training courses to improve and/or enhance job performance, including training to effectively handle after-hours customer service functions.
- Observes standard operating procedures and safety practices.
- Knowledge of utilities operations and computer capability.
- Knowledge of City boundaries and street locations.
- Knowledge of two way radio operations, radio ten signals and various.
- Knowledge of the basic capabilities and functions of word processing application software.
- Skills in record keeping.
- Skill in monitoring communications, telemetry and weather equipment.
- Skill in working effectively under stressful situations.
- Skill in recording information accurately.
- Skill in using general office equipment such as telephone, fax, duplicating machines, copiers and computers.
- Skill in working independently or in a team atmosphere.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, peers, employees, and members of the general public.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: High School diploma, or GED and six (6) months customer service experience, or any equivalent combination of training and experience. A valid Florida driver’s license is required.
Last revision date: October 2001