Utility Billing Coordinator
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Essential functions, as defined under the American with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge skills, and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of the class.)DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (which are not in any hierarchical order)
- Supervises utility billing staff.
- Calculates back billing and credits and enters data into appropriate Finance and/or specialized utility computer systems.
- Interacts with internal and external customers regarding delinquent uncollectable accounts; utility bill inserts, and general exchange of financial information.
- Analyzes various financial billing summaries and reports; receives, analyzes, processes and posts detailed accounts receivable transactions to ensure accurate monthly utility billing.
- Oversees and is responsible for file maintenance of all utility billing financial documents and record retention.
- Researches, gathers and posts information and writes monthly reports for management related to accounting information.
- Balances accounts receivable aging report to the general ledger.
- Receives, researches and reconciles uncollectable utility accounts for external collection agency; prepares journal entries and makes lien requests through the Law Department for uncollectable owner accounts; assists external collection agency with recovery of funds from uncollectable accounts.
- Researches accuracy of debit and credit requests before making journal entries to appropriate computer system.
- Audits and corrects billing errors.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of effective mathematical computations, governmental bookkeeping and accounting practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of principles and techniques of general ledger bookkeeping.
- Knowledge of utility billing processes and procedures.
- Skill in using standard personal computer software and specialized software applications for customer account information update.
- Skill in supervision.
- Skill in using common office machinery and equipment.
- Skill in both verbal and written communications.
- Skill in following written and oral instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work.
MINIMUM QUALIFCATION: Associate Degree form an accredited college or university, and three (3) years experience in bookkeeping or accounting, including one (1) year supervisory or lead worker experience, or any equivalent combination of training and experience. A valid Florida’s driver’s license is required.
Last revision date: October 2001