ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class.)DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (which are not in any hierarchical order)
- Digs and backfills trenches, assists in installing water service lines and mains; assists in installing wastewater collection systems services, mains, manholes, etc.
- Clears and cleans job sites of debris and restores site to original condition.
- Assists trained mechanics in testing, cleaning, repairing, and installing utility systems and appurtenances.
- Repair potholes, sets forms for curb and gutter work; assists cement finishers.
- Helps maintain stormwater, canal and drainage system.
- Supports and actively participates in the City’s safety programs.
- Operates small trucks and job related equipment and tools such as air compressors, paving breakers, compactors, cement mixers, and pipe saws.
- Drives pick-up truck and transports workers and materials to worksite.
- Maintains and assists other crewmembers with cleaning vehicles, hand and power tools.
- Assists in the assembly and erection of traffic signals, work site protection signs and markers and acts as flagman as necessary.
- Knowledge of machinery, equipment and tools necessary for the maintenance of public utilities.
- Knowledge of basic construction practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of common hand and power tools.
- Knowledge of basic preventive maintenance on assigned equipment.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions.
- Skill in following oral and written instructions.
- Skill in operating and working around traffic and moving equipment.
- Skill in following safety practices and recognizing safety hazards.
- Ability to perform heavy manual labor for extended periods in adverse weather conditions.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative work relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Eighth grade education and possession of a valid Florida driver’s license, and Commercial Driver’s License, Class B may be required based upon assignment.
Last Revision date: October 2001