SUMMARY: Under limited supervision, reviews building permit applications and occupational licensing applications for compliance with City of West Palm Beach Zoning ordinances and codes. Collects and analyzes data, conducts site visits, and assists professional planners with special projects as requested. Performs related duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class.)DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (which are not in any hierarchical order)
- Provides daily review of all new construction pools, building, fences, driveways, patios and signs permit applications to determine compliance with zoning ordinances and respective codes. Reviews site development plans.
- Provides technical information to staff, applicants and public regarding zoning and other applicable codes.
- Reviews applications for occupational licenses for compliance with zoning and city codes.
- Researches records, such as maps, ordinances and zoning code and state industrial codebooks for site use and density.
- Enters permit application data in computer.
- Contacts applicants with information regarding permits and occupational licenses.
- Provides assistance to planners in research, maps and records with reference to zoning.
- Process permit applications for review as needed by the Historic Preservation and Urban Design program.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of policies, practices, and terminology of City licenses and permits.
- Knowledge of departmental and divisional procedures.
- Knowledge of City zoning, license and general codes.
- Skills in the operation of personal computer and standard application software, and standard office equipment and machines.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to review site plans, landscape plans, surveyor elevations.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with contractors, inspectors, supervisors, co-workers and the general public.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work involves detailed concentration for long periods of time in a modified office environment and occasionally at an on-site location. There may be occasional need for light lifting, walking and bending. The City of West Palm Beach promotes a drug/alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing. This position may also require the use of City vehicles on City business. Individuals must be physically capable of operating the vehicles safely, possess a valid driver's license, and have an acceptable driving record.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: High School diploma or GED and one (1) year of related experience in a zoning regulation environment, or any equivalent combination of training and experience. (Associate degree preferred).
Last revision date: October 2001