Laboratory Quality Assurance Officer
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge skills, and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class.)DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (which are not in any hierarchical order)
- Develops, directs and coordinates an extensive laboratory quality assurance (QA) and safety program in accordance with state and federal regulatory requirements to ensure continued certification status for both wastewater (ECR) and drinking water (WTP) laboratory facilities.
- Researches, develops, writes, and implements the QA/QC procedures that define the QA/QC program. Ensures through this QA/QC protocol that all laboratory analytical and data generating procedures comply with Federal (EPA), State (DEP & DOH) and Local (SFWMD) mandates for proper method development, proficiency requirements, training, and data validation in certified environmental laboratory
- Develops reviews, modifies and maintains Quality Assurance Manual in accordance to EPA and State approved guidelines; regularly reviews state and federal regulations for method changes and makes recommendations.
- Develops, reviews, modifies and maintains Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) for sampling and analysis in accordance to EPA and State approved guidelines.
- Develops and maintains procedures to ensure a complete and accurate documentation trail of samples and sample events from collection through to analysis, reporting and final disposal utilizing Lab Information Management System. (LIMS)
- Prepares laboratory operations reports related to laboratory control and safety; performs statistical analysis of data and data validation in preparation for reports; maintains equipment records of maintenance and calibration.
- Prepares annual QA/QC Report for inclusion in the Annual Water Quality Report.
- Develops and presents training programs including initial and annual demonstration of capability and proficiency testing (PT); reviews, recommends and coordinates outside training and seminars.
- Conducts both scheduled and unannounced audits of all project protocols and procedures and prepares reports of all findings and document corrective actions taken; conducts internal audits interpreting policies and procedures and provides detailed reports to management.
- Responsible for conducting lab audits, reviewing data, requesting reworks, resolving data problems and assisting in the selection of contract labs.
- Reviews contract laboratory QA/QC documents to ensure consistency with West Palm Beach Laboratory Services requirements for regulatory compliance; reviews contract laboratory QC reports, and maintains contact with contract laboratory Project Managers/QA Administrators.
- Coordinates and/or conducts quality problem investigations; issues and tracks corrective action documents.
- Oversees the implementation of the Laboratory Services’ Safety Program (LSSP) for the field and laboratory personnel including updating safety manual and chemical hygiene plan.
- Coordinates and maintains laboratory certifications through satisfactory performance of proficiency testing (PT).
- Oversees purchases as to the quality of lab equipment, materials and chemicals.
- Knowledge of chemical and microbiological characteristics of and standard methods for the analysis of environmental samples, particularly water and wastewater.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of laboratory quality assurance and quality control.
- Knowledge of standard computer software including Words, Excel, PowerPoint and Publisher and computer based laboratory information systems.
- Knowledge of laboratory safety practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of sampling techniques and methods of statistical analysis.
- Knowledge of principles of laboratory chemical and biological analytical methods and instruments.
- Knowledge of state and federal regulations related to quality assurance and safety practices.
- Knowledge of data management techniques.
- Skill in performing standard QA/QC evaluation procedures; evaluating data using statistical methods for analysis and interpreting results of data analysis.
- Skills in operating, calibrating and maintaining a variety of manual and automatic laboratory instruments.
- Skills in developing and presenting training programs and preparing manuals and documentation.
- Ability to develop and implement a coordinated applied program for laboratory quality assurance.
- Ability to write clear and concise reports
- Ability to plan, schedule, organize, and coordinate quality assurance programs.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Biology or closely related field and four (5) years experience in certified drinking water or environmental laboratory, or any equivalent combination of training and experience. Two (2) years developing and applying quality assurance criteria and procedures, required. A valid Florida driver’s license, required. A valid driver’s license from any state (equivalent to a State of Florida Class E) may be utilized upon application; with the ability to obtain the State of Florida driver’s license within 30 days from day of appointment.
Last revision date: October 2009