Plumbing Plans Examiner II
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge skills, and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class.)DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (which are not in any hierarchical order)
- Review applications submitted to the Construction Services Department for compliance with the governing codes and statutes.
- Document deficiencies discovered utilizing the City computer database in a concise and understandable manner.
- Explain complex technical issues in a clear and concise manner to non-technical persons.
- Communicate effectively the required corrective actions to the Department’s customers.
- Demonstrate effective stewardship of the resources in time and materials provided by the City.
- Balance the need for code compliance with a high level of customer service.
- Demonstrate respect the customer’s time and resources in the processing of plans.
- Reviews complex plans to ascertain compliance with applicable plumbing, fuel gas, and other related plumbing codes and standards.
- Answers questions in person and on the phone regarding plans and code requirements.
- Researches codes for approval or disapproval of submitted plans, especially in unusual or unique installations.
- Drafts correspondence explaining reasons a plan was disapproved.
- Files new and completed plans.
- Reviews new materials and methods used in building construction; attends training courses to learn of new codes and other inspection regulations; takes an active part in the training process.
- May perform inspections as required, with appropriate licensure.
- Knowledge of construction and related materials and tools.
- Proven knowledge of potable water systems, booster systems, sanitary and storm drainage systems, boiler systems, fuel gas systems, and other regulations affecting plumbing work in high rise buildings.
- Proven knowledge of the principles and practices of the construction industry.
- Proven skills in providing excellent customer service.
- Skill in the use of a variety of office equipment including personal computers and related software.
- Skill in reading and interpreting blueprints, codes and regulations.
- Skills in effective communication, both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated skills in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: High School Diploma and seven (7) years construction experience, plan review experience with at least three (3) years experience in plan review for high rise buildings or any equivalent combination of training and experience. Requires State licensure as a Plumbing Plans Examiner and as a Plumbing Inspector, or ICC certifications as a Plumbing Plan Examiner and Plumbing Inspector and ability to obtain Florida’s Standard Licenses within two (2) years from date of employment, along with ability to obtain provisional licensure at the time of hire. A valid Florida driver’s license is required; a valid driver’s license from any state (equivalent to a State of Florida Class E) may be utilized upon application; with the ability to obtain the State of Florida driver’s license within 30 days from day of appointment.
Last revision date: May 2009