Senior Human Resources Generalist
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge skills, and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class.)DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (which are not in any hierarchical order)
- Conduct planned periodic meetings with assigned customers to identify needs and develop solutions.
- Consult with line management providing HR guidance when appropriate.
- Analyze trends and metrics to develop solutions, programs and policies.
- Manage and resolve complex employee relations issues. Conducts effective, thorough and objective investigations.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to day-to-day management of employees, reducing legal risks and ensuring regulatory compliance. Partner with legal department as needed/required.
- Provide day to day performance management guidance to line management (coaching, counseling, career development, contract administration, disciplinary actions).
- Work closely with management and employees to improve work relationships, build morale, increase productivity and retention.
- Interpret civil service rules and regulations, union contracts, federal guidelines and regulations, and human resources policies and procedures.
- Ensure customers are in compliance with established policies, procedures and contractual obligations. Provide guidance and input on business unit restructures, workforce planning, succession planning and related areas.
- Identify training needs for customer staff and assist with individual development needs.
- May conduct pre-disciplinary meetings. Monitor disciplinary actions to ensure consistency.
- Participate in evaluation and monitoring of success of training programs. Follow-up to ensure training objectives are met.
- Consult with hiring manager to determine position requirements, recommend recruitment strategies. Recruit, certify eligibility, prepare and monitor referral list, develop or recommend testing and evaluation instruments for recruitment or promotional process.
- Train interviewers in the interview process and federal guidelines; develop structured interview guides, written examinations and other selection instruments to ensure content validity. May participate in panel interviews.
- Lead special and cross-functional project teams.
- Create, maintain, and update recruitment, employment, training, grievances, and related databases and files according to area of assignment.
- Conduct pay surveys and makes recommendations for the adjustment of salary ranges to reflect current labor market conditions, excessive turn-over and internal equity between classifications.
- Perform job audits (when required), reviews, analyzes and evaluates a job and develops job descriptions.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- Strong consulting skills.
- Strong customer management and business literacy skills.
- Strong conflict management skills.
- Strong interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Develop strong trusting relationships in order to gain support and achieve results.
- Effectively envision, develop, and implement new strategies to address complex business issues.
- Support multiple business units in multiple locations.
- Manage multiple conflicting priorities.
- Be flexible and available to interact with employees at all levels.
- Be self directed and motivated.
- Identify, diffuse and mediate differences, and develop consensus.
- Proficient in the use of MS Office
- Take initiative to identify and anticipate customer needs and make recommendations for implementation
- Knowledge of federal and state employment, civil rights and labor laws, rules and regulations.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Human Resources, Business Administration, Psychology, or related field and three (3) years of progressively responsible human resources experience, or any equivalent combination of training and experience. Working knowledge of multiple human resource disciplines including compensation practices, organizational diagnosis, employee and union relations, diversity, performance management federal and state employment laws. PHR or SPHR Certification is highly desirable. A valid Florida driver’s license is required; a valid driver’s license from any state (equivalent to a State of Florida Class E) may be utilized upon application; with the ability to obtain the State of Florida driver’s license within 30 days from day of appointment.
Last revision date: May 2009