Senior Purchasing Agent
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge skills, and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class.)DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (which are not in any hierarchical order)
- Prepares sealed bids and multi-year procurement contract for goods and services.
- Advertises bids, conducts pre-bid conferences and prepares bid addendums.
- Conducts bid openings, analyzes responses, compiles evaluation spreadsheets, prepares award and other related documentation.
- Surveys markets to determine best source, new sources, market conditions and trends.
- Prepares and executes purchase orders electronically.
- Receives and analyzes requisitions for materials, supplies and equipment.
- Consults with department personnel on procurement needs and places order.
- Contacts vendors regarding procurement needs, specifications, bids, and prices.
- Expedites delivery, billing and receiving documents.
- Provides guidance, training and cross training to other buyers as required.
- Inputs a variety of purchasing information into computer application, specifically Oracle.
- Through knowledge of purchasing policies and procedures, laws, rules and regulations, as applicable.
- Knowledge of purchasing principles and practices.
- Knowledge of proper business English, grammar, punctuation and professional business writing skills.
- Skill in bid preparation and preparing term contracts.
- Skill in using computer programs, i.e. Word, Excel and internet. Oracle is a plus.
- Ability to independently analyze, make decisions, evaluate procurements processes and provide advice and strategy.
- Ability to follow written and oral instruction.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work including public, co-workers, and other City employees.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Associates degree from an accredited technical school or college with a major in Purchasing or Business Administration or a directly related field and four (4) years purchasing experience. Government purchasing experience is most preferred along with the certification of Professional Public Buyer (CPPB).ALTERNATE REQUIREMENTS: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Purchasing or Business Administration or directly related field and two (2) years purchasing experience. Government experience is most preferred along with certification of Professional Public Buyer (CPPB).
Last revision date: May 2008