Sustainability Program Coordinator
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge skills, and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class.)DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (which are not in any hierarchical order)
- Initiates, coordinates, and implements programs related to the following: carbon footprint reduction, energy efficiency, water conservation, green model home, green job training programs, green building principles (e.g. Florida Green Building Council, LEED), transportation, environmentally preferable purchasing and other sustainable/conservation subjects, program management and metrics, and curriculum development for public outreach, public education, and business workshops.
- Works with the Sustainability Team, including consultants and community partners, to develop short term and long term strategic plans, recommending policy and organizational changes needed to advance sustainability initiatives.
- Conducts research on relevant issues and best practices, develop and implements program policies and procedures.
- Assists in the development, implementation and updates a system and scorecard for reporting progress of sustainability plan to City Administration, City Commission, Citizen’s Advisory Boards, and the general public.
- Develops and conducts sustainability-related outreach programs to City government, businesses, and residents.
- Works with City Department Sustainability Liaisons in developing and implementing activities to reach established goals for reducing the City’s carbon footprint and adopting sustainable principles for their department/division.
- Assists in developing and monitoring the Office of Sustainability annual operating budget and grant funding directives.
- Prepares updates for reporting to the Mayor’s Office, City Administration, City Commission, and the communications/media relations committee on program accomplishments.
- Coordinates sustainability website and updates information on a regular basis or as required.
- Assists with planning and implementing annual sustainability summit for stakeholders, government and the general public.
- Plans, participates, and makes program presentations at local events to leverage City’s relationships within the county and region.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge in carbon footprint reduction, community outreach, recycling and waste reduction, sustainable building design, land use and sustainable community planning, transportation, environmentally preferable purchasing, program management and metrics, environmental education, and curriculum development.
- Knowledge and experience in climate change, energy efficiency, renewable energy, and environmental sustainability programs.
- Knowledge of City, federal and state laws, rules, regulations and ordinances specific to area of assignment.
- Demonstrated skill in making effective public presentations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to maintain effective working relationships with business contacts, the public, boards, consultants and with employees at all levels of the organization.
- Strong communication skills, both orally and in writing.
- Experience and knowledge in the use of computerized systems and software such as Microsoft Words, Excel, Access and PowerPoint.
- Ability to research, analyze, and synthesize complex information, develop and present recommendations and prepare concise written reports, correspondence and recommendations.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, to assume responsibility, to prioritize and resolve problems, to work under pressure, and to coordinate and manage complex projects.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Environmental Studies, Public Policy, management, sustainable land planning or related field, and three (3) years relevant work experience in the area of sustainability program management. A valid Florida driver’s license, required. A valid driver’s license from any state (equivalent to a State of Florida Class E) may be utilized upon application; with the ability to obtain the State of Florida driver’s license within 30 days from day of appointment.
Last revision date: October 2009