Water Plant Operator III
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge skills, and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class.)DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (which are not in any hierarchical order)
- Monitor and observe plant operating conditions, monitor plant SCADA system, record observations and data in shift log, and follow process control procedures for assigned areas.
- Collect water, wastewater, and sludge samples from various plant locations, perform designated laboratory procedures, and calibrate laboratory equipment as required.
- Adjust chemical feeds as necessary based on the results of sample analysis.
- Monitor and adjust wastewater treatment equipment (e.g., pumps, mixers, blowers, etc.) to ensure proper functioning.
- Monitor and adjust sludge dewatering process equipment, including belt filter presses, gravity belt thickeners, conveyer belt systems, and associated equipment.
- Perform regular tests for leaks of chlorine and other dangerous chemicals to ensure safe and adequate levels.
- Perform routine maintenance and cleaning of plant equipment.
- Assist in the training activities of wastewater plant operators and trainees.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of wastewater treatment.
- Knowledge of the proper methods and techniques used in cleaning, repairing, and maintaining wastewater treatment equipment.
- Knowledge of the federal, state, and local rules, regulations, policies and procedures regarding the operation and administration of wastewater systems.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions.
- Skill in operating wastewater systems machinery.
- Skill in the proper use of hazardous chemicals.
- Skill in utilizing public relations techniques in responding to inquiries and complaints.
- Ability to follow safety practices and recognizes hazards.
- Ability to obtain and maintain required certification as a wastewater operator.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: High School Diploma or GED required, Associates Degree preferred and five (5) years related experience, or any equivalent combination of training and experience. State of Florida Wastewater Operator license “A” is required.
Last revision date: October 2010